Tuesday, April 19, 2011

the hazards of being in the jewelry business

One of the goals I had always wanted for my blog was to educate people about jewelry.  This may seem silly but there is a lot of information out there.  Like why some jewelry you buy at Forever 21 eventually turns green on you and other things that might be mysteries at the beginning.

But going back to my jewelry education.  One thing that has been changing quite a bit lately is the price of metals.  I work exclusively with sterling silver because it has (up until now) been much more reasonable than gold.  But things may be changing for all of us women (and men) who like to indulge our accessory whimsy.

One of the biggest jewelry suppliers in the US, Rio Grande, ran an article on their website last week about rising silver prices.  I thought I would share it with you because it had some generally useful information: http://riograndeblog.com/2010/12/bam-silver-prices-again/.  But to summarize the big points, it is essentially saying that silver jewelry and other items made with silver could be getting more expensive in the near future.  Historically, silver has stayed in a specific ratio with gold based on price.  With gold shooting up the way that it has been, silver could follow as more people invest in the cheaper metal.

So that is my friendly silver public service announcement.  =)

Have a beautiful day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note - it means the world to me!!! Have a beautiful day and I hope to talk to you again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...