Wednesday, September 11, 2013

remembering...

Today, I cried.

I don't remember crying on September 11, 2001.  My 15 year old mind understood that something horrific had happened.  But now my mother of two mind understands something so much greater.

The world is different.

And I cry.

We now live in a world that is full of this out-in-the-open and hidden-at-the-same-time fear called terrorism.

We live in a world where we wait with bated breath as friends with spouses and siblings and children in the armed services return from still hazardous tours of duty in far off places.  We live in a world where our children were not alive that day and need to be taught about these things.  We live in a world where we can start again to teach our children to love, always love.

Today, I praised.

I saw pictures on Facebook of another army soldier husband who returned safe to the arms of his wife and family.  I prayed thanks with a heart ready to burst that my brother made it back from his tour in Afghanistan safely.  I mourned again reading about families broken, security shattered, and hearts crushed by the hate of a few people that day years ago.

This different world also brings opportunities to us to do right and good.  Soldiers are getting help for PTSD, organizations are freeing the oppressed around the world, and we continue to find ways to sustain the earth's population more and more efficiently.

Today, I prayed.

The world is different but the prayer is the same.  Patience, humility, and love are never outdated, never unwanted.  As a mother of two, I strive, struggle, every day to try and point my children's eyes to the Savior who did everything for them, for mom and dad, for the whole world.  The whole world doesn't see it.  But that doesn't change the free offer of salvation and love - it will always be there.  And Christ draws us to Himself.

So I will continue.  Crying, praising, praying.  In full confidence of a future shaped and ordained by my Maker and Redeemer.

There are far better things ahead 
than any we leave behind.
~C.S. Lewis

1 comments:

Kristin @ Petal and Thorn said...

today in Bible Study we covered Romans 8:18-27. perfect timing, right? thanks for sharing your thoughts. grateful for the service of your brother and other brave men like him.

18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[h] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a note - it means the world to me!!! Have a beautiful day and I hope to talk to you again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...